Tyre Rub on Chainstay

cyclingvet
cyclingvet Posts: 131
edited January 2018 in Workshop
I'm a bit gutted. My Colnago V1r had Mavic 25mm tyres on Mavic Ksryrium SL wheels for over a year. I then changed to 25mm Continental Grand Prix 4 season tyres. It turns out the rear wheel is dished slightly, which I didn't realise whilst riding the Mavics. It appears that slight movement under heavy load is enough to cause tyre rub on the non drive side chainstay as these 25 mm Continentals are actually wider than the 25mm Mavics. I have checked to may sure its not the dropouts wearing by putting another wheel on and the other wheel is dead central whilst the Mavic is not.
As you can see from the photo the rub has gone into the carbon. Needs repairing or not? As for the slightly dished wheel?

22iyuXX

Comments

• Without seeing the pic, I’ve seen tyre rub from both front and rear tyres. A slight rub through the paintwork won’t cause structural issues or delamination.
  • Trying to upload the photo . I've put it on Flickr and pasted the "share" url from Flickr in to the message between the but cant seem to get it to show!
  • Sod it. Look at it this way

https://flic.kr/p/22iyuXX
  • Yeah, it’s a shitty thing to happen but it’s superficial. Get some helicopter tape and put it in the recess around where the tyre is likely to rub.
  • Will have knackered any resale value possibly?
  • If it eases your mind any, here is the inside of the fork on one of my bikes. Has been this way for 3 years. No issues. Cos it’s hidden by the tyre you wouldn’t know it’s there. And it doesn’t bother me that it’s there tbh

506F2990-3370-4D2B-A641-69EBE3C8F058_zpskn2lxk7e.jpg
  • My gut feeling was that it probably wasn't much to worry about. I just hope others feel the same way when I eventually sell the frame on.
  • So long as your honest and they understand. It’s going to effect resale value but it’s not a show stopper.

TBH , what the hell is wrong with you even contemplating selling a Colnago FFS???